- 4 eggs
- 170g (6 oz.) of coconut sugar
- 50g (1.8 oz.) of cacao powder
- 80g (2.8 oz.) of melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of coffee extract or 1 espresso shot
- 4 tablespoon of plant-based milk
- Preheat your oven at 170C / 340F and crack your eggs, separately the whites and the yolks.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks, and set aside.
- Melt the coconut oil and set aside for it to cool down a bit.
- Whisk the yolks, coconut sugar, and plant-based milk for about 3 minutes, or until you get a very pale and fluffy consistency. Stir the cacao powder into the coconut oil. Add to the egg and sugar mix.
- Add the vanilla extract, coffee extract, arrowroot powder, and bicarbonate of soda. Mix well.
- For the last step, fold the egg whites into the chocolate mix, starting with a small amount and adding the rest progressively. Make sure the mixture is well combined but do not overdo it so the cake stays fluffy.
- Grease a round cake pan with coconut oil and line with baking paper. Pour the mixture in and bake for 30 minutes.
- Let the cake cool down completely when out of the oven and flip it over on a cake stand to get a flat top. Decorate by dusting cocoa powder through a small sieve. Enjoy!
This cake keeps in the fridge or at room temperature in a sealed container for up to 5 days