My boys made this Vanilla Paleo Sponge Cake for my birthday and we had it for breakfast! It turned out absolutely delicious and had that vanilla sponge cake consistency which can be hard to achieve with ground almonds! The trick was to whisk the eggs with an electric whisk and then carry on whisking the eggs with the coconut sugar. The cake was bouncy and had the perfect spring-like consistency! We decorated it with chopped nuts and that little crunch on top was the ideal “healthy” sprinkle! My eldest even said, “Mum, these are your 100 and 1000s!”
- 200g or 2 cups of ground almonds
- 4 eggs
- 120g or 2/3 cups coconut sugar
- 80g or 3/8 cups of melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- Chopped mixed nuts to decorate
- Whisk the eggs with an electric mixer for 3 minutes.
- Add the coconut sugar and whisk until the mixture turns a paler color.
- Mix in the ground almonds, vanilla extract, arrowroot powder, and bicarbonate of soda.
- Finally, add in the melted (and cooled down) coconut oil, and mix.
- Pour in a greased cake loaf lined with baking paper. Decorate with chopped nuts (any work).
- Bake at 175C / 350 F for 35 minutes.
- You can also make muffins instead. Pour the mixture in a greased and lined muffin tray. Decorate with the chopped nuts and bake at 175 C / 350 F for 25 minutes. The cooking time can vary depending on the oven. To make sure it is cooked through, insert a toothpick, and see if it comes out clean. If not, it needs cooking longer. Enjoy!
- *if you are allergic to nuts or prefer not to use almond flour (ground almonds) for any other reason, you can replace it with quinoa flour. 50 g or 1/2 cup of almond flour can be replaced with 30g or 1/2 cup of quinoa flour.