This recipe is a staple in my household. It is extremely healing and such an easy meal to make, as the preparation takes about 10 minutes and you can leave it to cook in the slow cooker until it is ready! Chicken soup has been hailed as a health food for centuries and the reason for that is 1. slow cooking is much easier to digest than regular cooking and 2. the collagen packed broth (from the chicken bones) heals the gut and consequently strengthens the immune system. I would urge you to use organic chicken for this recipe, as regular chicken has been shown to contain antibiotics and steroids.
- 1 whole organic chicken or 4 organic chicken legs
- 3 large organic carrots
- 1 organic brown onion
- 3 organic celery stalks
- 1 bouquet garni
- dried thyme
- sea salt
- vegetable or chicken stock pot (optional)
- Chop the vegetables roughly and trim off the excess fat and skin from the chicken.
- Put all the ingredients in the slow cooker and cover all the way to the top with filtered water. Cook for 6-8 hours.
- Take the chicken out and remove the bones and skin. Put the chicken meat back in. It is ready to be enjoyed!
- I like serving this with egg noodles for my children, and as I follow an anti-inflammatory diet and do not eat grains, I have it with konjac noodles – which have no carbs and are grain-free but full of fiber.