- 4 eggs
- 1 cup or 100g of ground almonds
- 3/4 cup or 150g of coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup or 50g of cacao powder
- 1/3 cup or 70g of melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of coffee extract or 1 espresso shot
- 2 tablespoons of plant based milk
- Preheat your oven at 350 F / 175 C (fan oven) and crack your eggs, separately the whites and the yolks.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks, and set aside.
- Melt the coconut oil and set aside for it to cool down a bit.
- Whisk the yolks and coconut sugar for about 3 minutes, or until you get a very pale and fluffy consistency. Add the ground almonds and mix well.
- Stir the cacao powder into the coconut oil and add to the egg and sugar mix. Add the vanilla extract, coffee extract, arrowroot powder, bicarbonate of soda, and vegan milk. Mix well.
- For the last step, fold the egg whites into the chocolate mix, starting with a small amount and adding the rest progressively. Make sure the mixture is well combined but do not overdo it so the cake stays fluffy.
- Pour the mixture into a round cake pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Let it cool down before dusting over some cacao powder to decorate. Enjoy!
Storage TipsThis cake keeps in the fridge or at room temperature in a sealed container for up to 5 days