My lovely friend Sarah shared this incredible recipe with me. I have slightly tweaked it as I can’t help myself 😄. It can be made with only 3 ingredients if you want them plain, it is so easy to make and so addictive! These macaroons are dairy-free, grain-free, gluten-free, and a perfect treat on a low-inflammation and gut health-focused lifestyle. My children and myself are hooked to these. I hope you enjoy them too!
- 2 cups or 200g of desiccated/shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup or 80g of coconut sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (optional)
- 100g of dark chocolate (optional)
- Preheat your oven at 150 C / 300 F.
- In a large bowl, place the shredded coconut, coconut sugar, egg whites and vanilla extract. Mix with a wooden spoon until the ingredients are really well combined.
- Line a baking tray with a sheet of baking paper. Scoop out a good tablespoon of the mixture and form a ball by pressing the mixture in the palm of your hands. Do not roll the mix into balls but make sure to press it well. Once you have a ball, place it on the tray.
- Repeat, making sure the balls are of similar size so the cooking time is even. The mixture should yield between 13 and 16 balls.
- Bake in the oven for 13 to 15 minutes, or until golden. Take them out of the oven and leave them to cool, while you prepare the chocolate topping.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over boiling water – make sure the bowl is above the water and does not touch it. Once melted, dip each ball in the chocolate and place back on the tray. Use a spoon to decorate the top of the balls by drizzling the remaining melted chocolate.
- Make sure the balls are completely cooled down and the chocolate set before eating them or they might fall apart. Enjoy!