This delicious treat is DAIRY FREE, GLUTEN FREE and GRAIN FREE 💫 It also uses no oil as the mandarines are sufficient enough to make this cake SUPER MOIST. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
- 5 mandarines (about 350g or 12.5 ounces) or 2 medium oranges – try to use organic ones so the skin hasn’t been sprayed with chemicals
- 2 cups or 200g of ground almonds
- 50g or 1/2 cup of flaked almonds to decorate
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup or 120g of honey
- 1 tablespoon of arrowroot powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 175 C / 350 F.
- Boil the mandarines whole, with the peel on, and place them all in a deep pan of water for about an hour.
- Place them in a good food processor and blend until you have a smooth texture.
- Beat your eggs with salt. Add ground almonds, honey, arrowroot powder, and bicarbonate of soda. Add the mandarine purée (make sure it has cooled down so you don’t cook the eggs).
- Pour the mixture into a round cake tin greased with coconut oil and lined with baking paper.
- Sprinkle with flaked almonds to decorate.
- Bake at 175 C / 350 F for 40 minutes. The cooking time can vary depending on the oven. To make sure it is cooked through, insert a toothpick, and see if it comes out clean. If not, it needs cooking longer.
- *You can also make a muffin version of it
- **if you are allergic to nuts or prefer not to use almond flour (ground almonds) for any other reason, you can replace it with quinoa flour. 200g or 2 cups of almond flour can be replaced with 120g or 2 cups of quinoa flour, and if you don’t like the taste of quinoa flour, you can either toast it or add a little cinnamon (however, the taste tends to be good after baking).
It keeps up to 5 days in the fridge in a sealed container and can also be frozen up to 3 months.