These paleo miso eggplants are dairy-free and gluten-free. They are super easy to make and taste delicious. I find Asian inspired recipes easier to make than they look! I hope you enjoy this one as much as we did.
- 2 medium eggplants (aubergines)
- 4 tablespoons of miso
- 2 tablespoons of tamari (or regular) soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons of mirin
- 2 tablespoons of sesame oil for the paste and some extra for brushing the aubergines
- 2 spring onions/scallions
- Sesame seeds to decorate
- Preheat your oven at 180 C / 360 F
- Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise and score the flesh with a knife. Brush some sesame oil all over them on both sides and place them on a roasting tray, flesh up.
- Put the eggplants in the oven for 15 minutes while you prepare the miso sauce.
- Add the miso, mirin, coconut sugar, sesame oil, and soy sauce to melt in a pan over medium heat. Once the ingredients are melted and well combined, remove from the heat.
- Remove the eggplants from the oven and brush the flesh with the miso sauce. Place in the oven for a further 45 minutes until the eggplants caramelize.
- Chop the spring onions. Sprinkle some sesame seeds on the eggplants and add the spring onions to decorate.
- You can serve this with some baked salmon or any fish, or as a side to noodles. It is absolutely delicious and so easy to make!