I love making soups. They are easy to digest, a great dinner starter and they allow me to feed the kids a good amount of vegetables at the start of a meal. My vegetable soups are dairy-free, grain-free, gluten-free, paleo, and keto, and help keep your system alkaline. I like to stick to a few ingredients and make them in this very simple method.
- 2 leeks
- 3 zucchini
- a bag of spinach (100 to 125g)
- salt and pepper
- cumin (optional)
- a vegetable stock cube (optional)
- olive oil (or any oil of your choice)
- Chop the leek and zucchini roughly.
- Pour about 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pot and start sweating the leeks on medium heat.
- After 5 minutes, add the zucchini and season with salt and pepper. I like adding a good pinch of cumin too.
- Cook for a further 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Cover with filtered water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and let it simmer for a minimum of 30 minutes (up to an hour). You can add a vegetable stock for flavour if you like.
- Add the spinach, fold it in and cook for another 3 minutes. Switch the fire/gas off and blend. It is ready to serve!
- I like serving this with a dollop of coconut yoghurt or cream. I sometimes sprinkle milled flaxseeds for extra fibre and omega 3. I also use fresh herbs as a topping, chives work really well with this. Enjoy!