Super easy and quick lettuce wraps, to enjoy with friends and family. You can choose any ground meat of your liking, prepare the meat in advance (it takes about 10 minutes), and reheat it before serving with lettuce leaves. This recipe is paleo, dairy-free and grain-free.
- 500g or 1 pound of minced lean beef (or turkey, lean lamb, lean pork)
- 500g or 1 pound of mushrooms
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Soy sauce, tamari sauce, or coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons of umami paste or 1
- teaspoons of grated ginger and an extra clove of garlic + more sauce
- A teaspoon of Chinese 5 spices
- Sesame oil
- Furikake (or sesame seeds to garnish)
- Gem lettuce hearts
- Sweat the chopped onion on medium to high heat with a tablespoon of sesame oil. After 5 to 7 minutes, add in the sliced mushrooms. Cook until they reduce in size (about 4 minutes).
- Add the meat and garlic. Once the meat starts browning, add the Chinese 5 spices and the umami paste or ginger and soy/tamari/coconut aminos sauce to taste.
- Cook until the meat is cooked through.
- Let it cool down a little bit while you rinse the lettuce and separate the leaves.
- Serve either in 2 separate places and people can make their own wraps or fill each lettuce leave with the meat and sprinkle the furikake/sesame seeds to decorate.
- If you serve it in two different plates, you can sprinkle the furikake or sesame seeds on the meat. Enjoy!