- 500g or 1 pound of minced lean beef (or turkey, lean lamb, lean pork)
- 500g or 1 pound of mushrooms
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Soy sauce, tamari sauce, or coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons of umami paste or 1
- teaspoons of grated ginger and an extra clove of garlic + more sauce
- A teaspoon of Chinese 5 spices
- Sesame oil
- Furikake (or sesame seeds to garnish)
- Gem lettuce hearts
- Sweat the chopped onion on medium to high heat with a tablespoon of sesame oil. After 5 to 7 minutes, add in the sliced mushrooms. Cook until they reduce in size (about 4 minutes).
- Add the meat and garlic. Once the meat starts browning, add the Chinese 5 spices and the umami paste or ginger and soy/tamari/coconut aminos sauce to taste.
- Cook until the meat is cooked through.
- Let it cool down a little bit while you rinse the lettuce and separate the leaves.
- Serve either in 2 separate plates and people can make their own wraps, or fill each lettuce leave with the meat and sprinkle the furikake/sesame seeds to decorate.
- If you serve it in two different plates, you can sprinkle the furikake or sesame seeds on the meat. Enjoy!