This is an old favorite of mine. I have been making this recipe for over 10 years. I think I probably always have some in my home. I eat them for breakfast when I fancy something sweet, or for a snack. My children eat them too but I don’t send them to school with these as they contain nuts. Check out my healthy cookies recipe if you are looking for a school-friendly snack for your little ones. They are easy to make, delicious, moist, and naturally sweetened.
- 2 cups or 200g of ground almonds
- 4 eggs
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 extra banana for decorating
- 3.5 oz or 100g dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup or 60g of coconut oil
- 2/3 cup or 100g coconut sugar or 100ml of maple/agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tablespoon of arrowroot powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Sunflower oil spray or extra coconut oil for the muffin tray
- Preheat your over to 175 C. Gently melt the coconut oil in a pan and set aside.
- Mash the bananas in a bowl. Add the eggs and vanilla extract, mix well.
- Incorporate the ground almonds, bicarbonate of soda, arrowroot powder, salt. Once they are well combined, add the melted coconut oil (make sure it isn’t too hot as we don’t want the eggs to cook) and the coconut sugar or maple/agave syrup. Finally add the dark chocolate chips, saving some for decorating.
- In a well-oiled muffin tray, pour in the mixture (using 2 tablespoons or an ice cream scoop). Decorate with a couple of slices of bananas and a few chocolate chips.
- Bake for about 25 minutes at 175 degrees C, or until a skewer comes out of the muffins clean. Let them rest until they cool down and remove them from the tray. Enjoy!
- Ps: you can also line your baking tray with muffin cases or tulips, especially if you want to eat these on the go.
- *if you are allergic to nuts or prefer not to use almond flour (ground almonds) for any other reason, you can replace it with quinoa flour. 80g or 2/3 cup of almond flour can be replaced with 50 or 2/3 cups of quinoa flour.
These keep for about a week in the fridge.