- For the chili:
- 1 pound or 500g of ground beef
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes or 4 medium tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup or 350ml of beef broth or water
- 200g of button mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 medium onions
- 2 bell peppers (red, yellow or orange)
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 tablespoon of garlic purée
- 1 tablespoon of tomato concentrate
- A small bunch of coriander
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- A dash of maple syrup (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Chili oil (optional)
- Chili powder or chili flakes to taste
- Slice the onions, bell peppers, and celery stalks into medium-size slices. Slice the mushrooms in halves or leave them whole if they are small.
- Sweat the onions on medium heat with the crushed fresh garlic in olive oil (or Chilli oil).
- After 3 minutes add all the other vegetables, the spices, and the garlic purée and cook until soft.
- Add the meat, bone broth, chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, vinegar, chili powder, or flakes and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium to low and simmer with a lid on (leaving a gap) for about 45 minutes to one hour.
- Add the chopped coriander and cook got a further 5 minutes.
- For the coconut & chives yogurt, mix all the ingredients and adjust the lime juice/salt content to taste.
- It is ready! I like serving it with some greens on the side (broccoli or greens beans generally). It works really well with baked sweet potatoes too!
You can keep this in the fridge for up to 5 days.