I use my slow cooker a lot in the autumn and winter months, but also the rest of the year. It makes cooking so easy and the prep generally takes no more than 10 to 15 minutes. The slow cooker takes care of the rest! It is super versatile and slow cooking makes for better digestion too. When you cook anything with bones in a slow cooker, collagen gets released from the bones and helps heal your gut lining (collagen is packed with glutamine which heals the gut). I hope you enjoy this oxtail recipe. It works with ox cheeks too. Like all my recipes, this oxtail dish is DAIRY-FREE, GRAIN-FREE, and GLUTEN-FREE.
- 1.5kg oxtail
- 4 small or 3 medium carrots
- 3 celery stalks
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 10 shallot onions
- 6 slices of chorizo
- 2 cans of chopped tomatoes
- Bay leaf
- Optional: beef stockpot
- Sear the oxtail on a pan on high heat and make sure to brown all the sides. Once done, place it in your slow cooker.
- Chop the celery and carrots in medium-size slices. “Break” the garlic cloves by pressing on them with a large knife. Peel the shallot onions.
- Put the carrots, celery, onions, garlic, chorizo, chopped tomatoes, and beef stock pot in the slow cooker. Add 1 teaspoon of paprika, salt and pepper to taste, and 2 bay leaves.
- Cook on slow for 6-8 hours or medium for 4-6 hours.
- Once cooked, let it cool down for 10 minutes and skim off the excess fat from the surface with a tablespoon and discard it. Serve and enjoy!
- My children love it with rice, and I generally have it on its own or with steamed greens (broccoli, spinach, or green beans).
This can be kept in the fridge for up to 5 days.